Commercial trucking is integral to Nevada’s economy, moving goods and people across the country and the world. However, many truck drivers are pushed to the limit, operating under fatigue or poor training. Trucking companies may also fail to maintain vehicles properly. These negligent actions can result in truck accidents that rob innocent people of their health and even their lives. With the size and mass of a semi-truck, cars are at a considerable disadvantage, and these accidents are typically very severe and even deadly. If you have been involved in a truck accident, please first seek medical attention for yourself and everyone involved.
If you are a truck accident victim, you may worry about how your injuries will affect your future. Commercial truck accidents cause severe injuries that can leave victims disabled, unable to work, and with less enjoyment of life. You may also face huge medical bills, lost wages from missed work, and funeral expenses in the unfortunate case that your loved one died in the accident. If your motor vehicle accident involves commercial trucks, you could qualify for compensation for these and other damages. The insurance company may not offer a fair settlement, so talking to experienced truck accident lawyers is your best bet for getting the compensation you deserve.
At Benjamin Durham Law Firm, we understand that truck accident victims have unique issues and needs. We will investigate the details behind your trucking accident to make sure the actual at-fault party is held liable. We have the tools and knowledge we need to build a strong case for you, and we will listen compassionately to your needs and wishes throughout the legal proceedings. Contact us today at (702) 793-2326 to schedule a free consultation where we can go over the details of your accident with you and help you get started.
What Makes Truck Accidents So Severe?
It’s no secret that semi-truck accidents cause a great deal of damage to passenger vehicles. These crashes are often deadly, devastating the lives of everyone involved. Many people believe that trucks are dangerous because of their weight, which is true. However, other factors also come into play in trucking accidents.
Some reasons serious injuries and wrongful death often occur in truck accident cases are:
- The weight of the semi-truck causes extreme damage. Semi-trucks weigh, on average, at least 60,000 pounds compared to passenger vehicles that weigh between 3,000-5,000 pounds. When commercial trucks collide with these smaller vehicles, the impact can be catastrophic.
- The slow response time of the commercial vehicle. This is mainly due to the truck’s weight, but it affects the collision in other ways. With its enormous size and weight, a semi-truck is very difficult to stop or change directions quickly. Truck drivers are limited in how much they can avoid an accident, especially if the vehicle is poorly maintained or loaded improperly. An experienced truck accident attorney can identify these details and use them to prove liability in your truck accident case.
- Driver fatigue. Many companies recognize that tired drivers commonly lead to semi-truck accidents and have implemented rules to eliminate dangerous practices. Even so, a truck driver spends hours behind the wheel, all day, every day. Some side effects of this lifestyle are drowsiness and a slower reaction time in an accident. Lack of training is another reason truck accident claims may come against a trucking company.
If a truck accident has impacted your life, causing severe injuries or wrongful death of a loved one, you should contact a truck accident lawyer for help investigating why the crash occurred. They can also help you get the full amount of damages you are owed.
Why Do Truck Accidents Occur?
While most truck drivers do their best to operate these powerful vehicles safely, there are times when a negligent or poorly-trained truck driver may make a serious mistake that causes disastrous consequences. Other times, a trucking company may not adequately maintain its commercial trucks, resulting in an accident. These accidents typically result in severe injuries and even the death of truck accident victims. However, in many cases, the accident could have been avoided with proper driving techniques, better training of truck drivers, and appropriate maintenance of vehicles.
Some reasons truck accidents occur include:
- Driver fatigue – Truck drivers work long hours, even when they operate within the limits of the law. If a driver violates federal regulations by driving too long, they could put other people on the road at risk.
- Failure to train truck drivers – Trucking companies should provide adequate training for their drivers, including maintaining a proper distance from other cars, stopping in dangerous conditions, and keeping a healthy driving schedule to avoid driver fatigue.
- Companies allowing trucks to fall into disrepair – Trucking and shipping companies owe a duty of care to regularly maintain their vehicles, ensuring that the brakes and systems operate as they should. Faulty mechanisms in the commercial truck could lead to a devastating accident.
- Trucks not loaded properly – One important part of commercial vehicle safety is loading the goods in the truck. Everything must be properly loaded and balanced, or the truck will not handle as well on the road and could cause an accident.
- Drivers breaking traffic laws – If a truck driver speeds or ignores traffic signals, this can quickly lead to a truck accident.
- Truck drivers operating vehicles while under the influence – DUI is a severe infringement of the law for anyone operating a motor vehicle, even more so for commercial drivers using such a powerful piece of machinery.
Whatever the cause of your trucking accident, you deserve to have skilled truck accident attorneys work with you to determine the cause. If the accident occurred because of negligence by the driver or the trucking company, you could recover damages for your injuries. Reach out to us at Benjamin Durham Law Firm right away for truck accident lawyers who will dedicate their time and attention to finding the truth about your truck accident and work valiantly to recover the damages you deserve.
How Is Fault Proved in a Truck Accident Case?
When you’ve been in a car accident involving a semi-truck, you may feel overwhelmed as you struggle to recover from your injuries, pay medical bills, and get back into your everyday life. You could find it challenging to uncover the cause of the trucking accident without the help of professionals like the truck accident lawyers at Benjamin Durham Law Firm. A talented truck accident lawyer like those at our law office will have the resources necessary to prove fault in your truck accident case. We will use our time and energy to investigate every detail so you can use your time and energy to rest and recover.
Legal professionals like those on our talented team have tools on hand that they use to prove liability in truck accident cases. For example, we can use the truck’s black box to reveal mistakes that the driver might have made that led to the crash. Perhaps they were speeding or did not brake in time, which caused the accident. Truck accident attorneys can also get in touch with private investigators or reconstructionists who can help recreate the accident scene to demonstrate what caused the wreck.
If you were severely injured in a crash involving a commercial truck, please don’t feel that you have to go it alone in seeking compensation for the damages caused. Contact Benjamin Durham Law Firm right away for knowledgeable truck accident lawyers who will fight by your side in your truck accident case.
What are Some Common Truck Accident Injuries?
Car accidents involving commercial vehicles often leave victims severely injured and could even cost people their lives. This happens for several reasons, including the large size and weight of trucks that easily demolish smaller vehicles. Such serious injuries can lead to expensive medical costs, lost time at work, and permanent disability. Many victims also experience emotional distress and trauma because of the accident.
Some injuries that occur in commercial truck accidents are:
- Back and spinal cord injuries – Back injuries can be very painful and may require surgery to correct. These injuries can make moving difficult or leave victims paralyzed, reducing their ability to work and enjoy life.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Another serious injury that could occur in a motor vehicle accident involving a large truck is traumatic brain injuries or TBIs. This happens when the impact causes the brain to slam into the side of the person’s skull, often repeatedly. TBIs can cause severe permanent damage, such as memory loss, disability, and mental illness.
- Fractured bones – Semi-truck accidents usually involve a high impact that is powerful enough to break bones. Broken and shattered bones are extremely painful and require a lengthy recovery time.
- Internal injuries – A large truck crash is often strong enough to cause serious internal injuries. Victims may experience damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, and spleen. These damages must be identified and treated immediately, or they could be life-threatening.
- Amputated limbs – Truck accidents could also cause severed limbs such as arms, hands, legs, and feet. Loss of limbs can seriously affect a person’s way of life, limiting their ability to work and enjoy normal activities.
- Burns – Another common injury in a truck accident is burns, where the fuel in either the car or the truck ignites, greatly damaging victims. Recovery from burns is a long, painful process that can leave a person permanently disfigured.
- Disfigurement – Victims of a truck accident could become disfigured from burns and shattered glass. This can create a great deal of emotional distress and loss of enjoyment in life. When you’ve been in a truck accident, you may have a long road to recovery, including costly medical treatments and lost wages. If your accident occurred because of the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company, you could recover compensation. Contact our law firm right away for help with your truck accident claim.
What Compensation Can I Recover from my Truck Accident Claim?
The insurance company often offers truck accident victims a settlement shortly after their crash. However, these companies tend to make a much lower offer than the accident case is worth, hoping the victims will accept the money before they realize how costly their expenses really are. Before accepting any money or signing any documents with an insurance company, please speak with truck accident attorneys like those at Benjamin Durham Law Firm to ensure you get the full and fair compensation you deserve. You should recover both economic and non-economic damages following your trucking accident.
Economic Damages in a Truck Crash
Victims of personal injuries from a wreck with a semi-truck may be able to collect economic damages in their truck accident lawsuits. Economic damages are calculable items that can be proven through documentation and receipts.
Some economic damages include:
- Medical bills for doctor visits, hospital visits, ambulance charges, surgeries, and care from specialists
- Lost income for time missed from work
- Lost income-earning ability if injuries will prevent you from working
Non-Economic Damages in a Truck Accident Lawsuit
Non-economic damages are more difficult to prove but are no less deserving of your attention. These include pain and suffering that are caused by your injuries.
Non-economic damages include items such as:
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Be sure you get the full compensation you deserve for all of the injuries from your accident. Reach out to Benjamin Durham Law Firm and speak with one of our helpful truck accident lawyers about the damages you are owed.
How Can I Ensure My Rights Are Protected Following a Truck Accident?
Unfortunately, many people don’t get a positive result from the trucking accident claim because they make critical mistakes following the crash. One of the most important things you should do after you get medical treatment for your injuries is to speak with a trusted truck accident lawyer who can advise you on any steps that will protect your rights following the accident. They can help you interact with insurance and trucking companies and will get you the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Some steps you can take now to protect your rights as a truck accident victim are:
- Report the accident by calling 911. The police can fill out an accident report that will be helpful as evidence in your case. They will also make sure everyone involved is safe and gets medical treatment.
- Get the driver’s information. Write down their name, the trucking company, and their contact information.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. This is another valuable source of evidence that can strengthen your case by proving what happened in the crash. You could also talk to witnesses and get their names and numbers.
- Don’t sign anything. Trucking companies may move fast to send out legal representation that protects them. Don’t sign any documents without speaking to your lawyer.
- Hire a legal team you trust. Getting legal representation is one of the key aspects of protecting your rights in any personal injury case. The Benjamin Durham Law Firm is a great example of a talented personal injury law firm that will stand by your side throughout the legal process.
Can Our Truck Accidents Attorneys Help You?
Experiencing a wreck with a semi or large truck can be a traumatizing experience that leaves you with severe injuries or possibly even mourning the loss of a loved one. If this is the case, you have our deepest condolences at this difficult time. We recognize that as the victim of a trucking accident, you deserve time to rest and recover from your injuries without the stress of fighting a legal battle on your own. This is why hiring an attorney is such an essential step at this time.
With the right legal representation, you can be sure that your rights are protected in your trucking accident case and that you receive the full compensation you are owed. Benjamin Durham Law Firm’s talented legal team offers the experience and dedication necessary to get the results you’re looking for in your lawsuit. We will handle the tricky legal aspects of your case so you can devote your time to recovering. We promise to stand by your side as strong allies in your corner who will use our time and energy to get a positive outcome for you. Don’t delay any longer. Reach out to us today at (702) 793-2326 for a free consultation.