Las Vegas Bicycle Accidents Lawyers Helping Clients Get Compensation
Experiencing a bicycle accident can be traumatizing for the victim and their loved ones. With the greater weight and power of motor vehicles, cyclists often suffer severe injuries and may even succumb to their wounds following the bike accident. Bicycle accident victims should focus on recovering from their injuries rather than stressing over the medical expense and other damages from their accidents. These individuals and their families may face hospital bills, ambulance costs, lost time and work, physical therapy, and permanent injuries that prevent them from doing everyday activities.
If you have been injured because of a motor vehicle driver’s negligence, you could qualify for compensation for your bicycle accident injuries. Nevada law requires drivers to operate their vehicles in a responsible manner, so the person whose reckless driving caused your bike accident could be held legally accountable. You should get help paying for the bills that you did not deserve. A bicycle accident lawyer can ensure you get maximum compensation.
At Benjamin Durham Law Firm, we have a deep understanding of Nevada bicycle laws, which allows us to achieve the results you need in your personal injury claim. We will gather evidence, communicate with insurance companies on your behalf, and provide you with the legal counsel you deserve. Don’t go it alone at this difficult time. Reach out to us at (702) 631-6111 to schedule a free consultation where we can go over the details of your bicycle accident case with you.
Who is Liable in a Bicycle Accident?
Nevada uses an at-fault system for motor vehicle accidents, which means the driver at fault covers all property damage done, usually through their insurance. You may also sue for bodily injuries sustained in the accident.
Proving liability is one of the most important parts of pursuing compensation following a bicycle accident. Your bicycle accident attorney can help you gather evidence, including police reports, surveillance footage, and eyewitnesses that help demonstrate what really happened in your bike accident. This is important because insurance companies often point the finger of blame at the cyclist to avoid paying the full amount owed.
It is also important to note that the law uses comparative negligence with bicycle accidents in Nevada. This means that even if the bicyclist shared some of the blame, they could collect some damages as long as they were responsible for less than half of the fault. For example, if the bicyclist made a mistake that led to them being assigned 20% of the responsibility for the accident, they would recover 80% of the compensation due from the at-fault party. However, anytime the cyclist is more than 50% responsible, they would not receive any damages.
For help understanding who is liable in your bicycle accident, contact us today for a free consultation to speak with our bicycle accident attorney.
What Are Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Las Vegas?
When motor vehicles collide with cyclists, the results can be devastating. Nevada state law requires drivers to use a degree of care to prevent bike accidents, but sadly, many drivers do not take the care necessary, and a collision may occur.
Some common causes of bicycle accidents in Vegas are:
- Distracted driving, such as cell phone use
- Failing to yield the right of way to the cyclist when appropriate
- Low visibility on the road
- Driving under the influence
- Cars changing lanes without signaling
- Aggressive driving, such as speeding
- Not obeying traffic signals and other traffic laws
- Recklessly opening car doors
- Not respecting bicycle lanes
If you have been in a bike accident, please first seek medical attention for your injuries. You should be examined by a medical professional to be sure any masked or internal injuries are addressed. Once you have done so, you can speak with a bicycle accident lawyer to get help determining the cause of the accident. If your bicycle accident occurred for these or other reasons related to reckless behavior on the part of the driver of a motor vehicle, you could qualify for a bicycle accident lawsuit. We can help you collect compensation for the serious injuries sustained because of the negligent driver. Reach out to our bicycle accident lawyers right away to see how we can help you.
What Injuries Typically Occur in a Bicycle Accident?
Individuals involved in bicycle accidents are lucky if they can walk away from the incident. Cyclists typically suffer serious injuries because of the impact between the heavy motor vehicle and their bicycle, which offers little protection. Many times, a cyclist will be permanently disabled or even die because of the severity of the crash. Another result of bicycle accidents is the emotional trauma sustained. This can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety that take a toll on the person’s everyday life for years to come.
Some injuries that commonly occur in Las Vegas bicycle accidents are:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – These injuries wreak havoc on a person’s life as they create permanent disabilities and affect mood and behavior.
- Broken bones – With the high impact of a car crashing into a bike, fractured bones are a common result. Broken bones are extremely painful and involve a long recovery, sometimes even requiring surgery.
- Road rash – Road rash is a painful scrape from being thrown onto the pavement in an accident. While it is not one of the most severe injuries, it still causes extreme discomfort.
- Torn muscles and ligaments – Soft tissue damage is difficult to treat, usually requiring rest to recover. This can keep a person from working and enjoying their normal activities.
- Severe lacerations – Cuts on the cyclist’s body can lead to a great deal of lost blood, which can be life-threatening if not treated immediately. These injuries also create a risk of infection.
- Mouth injuries, including broken teeth – Mouth injuries are excruciating and can require expensive dental visits to repair the damage. The emotional suffering from potential disfigurement of the mouth is another serious effect following a bike accident.
- Limb amputations – Losing a limb is another unfortunate result of many bicycle accidents. This greatly impacts the victim’s ability to enjoy life and can prevent them from earning income, depending on their current job.
- Back and spinal cord injuries – Injuries in the back and spinal cord are another example of agonizing damage done by a motor vehicle to a bicyclist. These injuries can include broken bones, pinched nerves, and herniated discs. Many back injuries require surgery to recover.
- Partial or total paralysis – Being paralyzed following a bike accident is one of the worst injuries because it affects every aspect of the victim’s life.
- Wrongful death – Sadly, many individuals lose their lives in bicycle accidents. If your loved one died in a bicycle accident, you have our deepest condolences. We encourage you to contact a bicycle accident lawyer for help recovering damages following your loved one’s death.
- Emotional trauma – Often overlooked, emotional trauma is extremely difficult to overcome following a bicycle accident. Victims can be left with PTSD, depression, anxiety, and mood disorders because of their injuries.
Bike accidents involving motor vehicles can cause serious damage, and motor vehicle drivers should be held responsible if their reckless behavior caused the accident. If you have been injured by a car while riding a bike, you need excellent bicycle accident lawyers on your side to take care of the legal matters so you can spend your time resting and recovering. Contact Benjamin Durham Law Firm today for a free consultation.
What Damages Can I Recover in My Bicycle Accident Claim?
If you or your loved one was involved in a bicycle accident in Nevada where a driver’s negligence caused the accident, you could recover damages for your injuries. Under Nevada law, motor vehicle drivers owe a duty of care to all others on the road, including cyclists. They should operate their car in a way that reasonably prevents others from being harmed, and if they do not do so, they can be held accountable by law.
Your bicycle accident lawsuit can help you recover compensation for:
- Medical bills such as hospital costs, ambulance services, emergency room bills, specialist services, and medication
- Future medical bills such as for surgeries and physical therapy
- Lost wages for time missed from work due to the injuries
- Lost future wages, such as when injuries prevent you from returning to your previous job
- Pain and suffering from your physical injuries
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship when a loved one died in a bike accident
- Funeral and burial expenses
Many bicycle accident victims feel alone and afraid, facing a mountain of bills and expenses and a life where they can no longer perform the functions they are accustomed to because of their injuries. Please don’t go through this challenging time alone. You may be able to get help with your medical costs as well as be reimbursed for the pain the at-fault party caused by bringing a personal injury claim. Let our talented legal team stand by your side and find justice in your bike accident case. Contact Benjamin Durham Law Firm today.
What is Nevada Law Regarding Bicycle Accidents?
Nevada bicycle laws require bike riders to observe the same rules and carry the same responsibilities as motor vehicle drivers. They should travel in the same direction as other vehicles on the road or in a bike lane if possible. Cyclists may not ride next to cars in the lane, but two bikes can be side by side in the same lane. Motorists should leave at least three feet of space between themselves and the cyclist and, if possible, move a lane over. Drivers must also yield to bicyclists in intersections as they would for other motor vehicles when necessary.
Depending on who violated any laws that led to the accident, a lawsuit will establish fault using Nevada’s comparative fault system. Each party will receive a percentage of fault ranging between 0-100%. The individual with over 50% fault is considered the at-fault party and is responsible for the damages according to how much responsibility they have. If a cyclist takes 20% of the fault, for example, they will recover compensation for the other 80% of the damages done.
Another important aspect of Nevada law to understand is the statute of limitations in the state. This gives victims a maximum of two years to bring a claim for any injuries received in the accident. If you wait too long, you may not be able to collect any damages for injuries from your bike accident. This is why we encourage accident victims to contact a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer like those at Benjamin Durham Law Firm right away. We can help you gather evidence quickly and efficiently so you have the strongest case possible before time runs out to recover compensation for your bicycle accident.
Should You Hire Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers?
At Benjamin Durham Law Firm, we express our deepest condolences for you or your loved one’s bicycle accident. As a victim of another person’s negligence, we recognize that you have unique needs and goals for your bike accident lawsuit. We also understand that no amount of money can reverse the damages done in the accident, especially if it caused the wrongful death of your loved one. However, we believe that seeking justice is appropriate and helpful in lightening the burden of medical expenses and suffering that the victim and their family feel at this difficult time.
We pledge to utilize our extensive knowledge and experience in your bike accident case as we investigate every detail of the incident to prove liability. We will listen carefully to your concerns and explain the complex legal matters in terms you can easily understand.
After a bicycle accident, you and your family may wish to focus your time and energy on recovering and moving forward with your lives. This is why personal injury lawyers are such a critical part of the healing process following a devastating accident like what you’ve been through. We will shoulder the heavy burden of the legal process so you can take the time to rest and heal. Having the at-fault party help cover the expenses incurred because of the crash is another way bicycle accident lawyers bring relief and peace to the accident victims.
Please don’t feel you must go through this troubling experience alone. You can rely on the injury lawyers at Benjamin Durham Law Firm to help you navigate the legal process of recovering damages for your injuries. We promise to dedicate our best efforts to getting you the maximum compensation possible. Contact us today for a free consultation at (702) 631-6111 today.